Opening September 2022, Aztec Stadium is a 35,000-seat multipurpose venue that will serve as the home for San Diego State University (SDSU), major concerts, professional sports, motorsports, NCAA and world championships, international soccer, festivals, high school sports, entertainment events and private special events. Aztec Stadium features incredible special event spaces such as the Field Club, Founders Lounge, West Club, East Club, The Piers and other unique venues. For more info, please visit: www.aztecstadium.com.
The Director of Booking & Special Events reports to the General Manager and oversees all aspects of booking and scheduling ticketed and non-ticketed events at the venue, as well as oversees the creation and implementation of our full-service private special events department. Responsible for delivering a superior level of content procurement, private and special events, customer service and effective relationships with clients, promoters, tenants, staff and guests.
- Responsible for soliciting, contracting, and managing from start to finish, ticketed, non-ticketed and special events at Aztec Stadium.
- Working in tandem with General Manager, establish all booking guidelines, policies and procedures for the stadium.
- Responsible for all services and activities of the booking & special events department including sales tools and materials, proposals and estimates, sales calls and contracts.
- Oversee and manage the venue booking calendar.
- Establish stadium rental rate card as well as catering minimums for all event spaces at the venue.
- Participate in the development and administration of the annual budget and event forecasting.
- Prepare written proposals and estimates; reevaluate potential business value of various events and clients; initiate contractual arrangements, finalize all booking arrangements, prepare contracts, negotiate rental and other rates as required.
- Initiate, develop and maintain new relationships with promoters, agents and other event producers/organizers while exploring new and creative event opportunities for the venue.
- Establish and enhance an expansive network of event producers, promoters, artist agents / managers and other clients to bring more concerts, sports and other events (both public and private) to the venue.
- Initiate and develop vendor relationships such as staging, sound and lights, décor, etc. to support stadium events.
- Conduct facility tours for potential clients; answer questions and provide information regarding venue capabilities.
- Develop and deliver presentations to clients, associations, corporations and others interested in renting the facilities.
- Develop bid proposals for potential clients and follow through on pending bookings.
- Negotiate various deal structures including straight rentals, co-promotions and direct buying.
- Pursue new rental and co-promotional opportunities with potential corporate and community clients.
- Source and buy talent as needed.
- Identify low-usage periods and formulate strategies to increase facility usage and revenue production during these periods.
- Development of new in-house events at the venue focused at driving additional revenue, sponsorship opportunities and economic impact.
- Collaborate with General Manager, Director of Marketing & PR and Spectra to secure new events for the stadium.
- Develop and execute market segment sales strategies for Corporate, SMERF and Social markets.
- Coordinate event communication with a Client-First focus and be the primary point of contact for event inquiries and customer service issues from initial client contact, through contracting phase and settlement of the event.
- Assist the Director of Finance with settlements of events.
- Prepare statistics, reports, budgets as needed for senior management and client.
- Act as liaison between venue and all outside parties and provide high level of service to key stakeholders such as SDSU Aztecs, tenants, tours and promoters.
- Remain current on national event and culinary trends in the industry and local market changes that affect the venue.
- Recruits, hires, trains and develops sales managers / coordinators as the department expands.
- Represent Aztec Stadium / Spectra in meetings, trade shows, conference calls for events, community outreach and other industry events and associations.
- Meets with General Manager on regular basis to discuss all matters pertaining to booking and special event goals and activities.
- Serve as Manager-on-Duty for events as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree or better from an accredited college or university in Business/Hospitality Management or related field.
- Minimum of five (5) years of progressive booking and special event sales experience in a stadium and/or arena or other similar public assembly facility.
- Experience in contract negotiation, development and execution.
- The ability to research, develop and maintain relationships with artist agents, artist management as well as local, regional and national promoters.
- Has a strong track record of building relationships and generating new business.
- Proven leadership skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of event solicitation and presentation, public relations, advertising and media relations and event planning, facility operations, budget preparation and personnel management.
- Ability to apply conflict resolution and problem-solving skills in a team-oriented environment.
- Ability to express ideas clearly through both oral and written communication.
- Superior Sales and Marketing skills.
- Knowledge of budget preparation and control.
- Effectively work under pressure and meet tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to communicate with employees, co-workers, volunteers, management staff and guests in a clear, professional and courteous manner which fosters a positive, enthusiastic and cooperative work environment.
- Ability to make sound business/operations decisions quickly and under pressure.
- Ability to speak, read, and write in English.
- Solid working knowledge of computer applications: MS office applications and event booking software.
- Ability to work well in a team-oriented, fast-paced, event-driven environment.
- Ability to calculate basic and complex math functions (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, percentages)
- Ability to consistently adhere to the highest standards of integrity, professionalism, ethics and confidentiality.
- Ability to work independently with little direction
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends.
Spectra, an industry leader in sports, entertainment and venue management, is dedicated to recruiting and developing individuals with the skills, experience, desire, and values to contribute to the continued growth and success of our organization. Together, with our 250+ sports & entertainment venue partners, we transform events into experiences! These experiences create excitement, turn heads, and make memories. Come Join Us! You can learn more about Spectra at www.spectraexperiences.com/
Spectra is an equal opportunity employer and our employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, handicap, marital status, or any other status or condition protected by Federal and/or State laws, except where bona fide occupational qualifications apply.