The Waldbühne’s capacity of 22,260 will be reduced to 5,000 for the September shows.

Semmel Concerts lines up Waldbühne shows for September

The Waldbühne amphitheater, considered one of the most scenic outdoor stages in Germany, will reopen at reduced capacity Sept. 3-4 with two concerts by Roland Kaiser.

Capacity will be limited to 5,000 guests who agree to comply with COVID-19 safety measures. The Waldbühne usually holds 22,260 people.

CTS Eventim operates the venue, part of Olympiapark Berlin. Semmel Concerts, part of CTS Eventim’s promoter network Eventim Live, is promoting the shows, as well as three more that have been confirmed for the site: German rap star Sido (Sept. 5), Helge Schneider (Sept. 6) and Wincent Weiss (Sept. 18).

German singer Kaiser had been scheduled to kick things off Sept. 4, but the Sept. 3 date was added to satisfy ticket demand.

“We’ve had many positive reactions about us realizing these concerts. We sold 10,000 tickets for the first five shows in 12 hours,” Semmel Concerts CEO Dieter Semmelmann said.

Semmelmann has no illusions about the economic viability of such a limited undertaking. “These concerts are about sending a signal: a sign of life from the live-music industry, and a signal our audiences have been waiting for impatiently. We have a responsibility, also towards our artists, and after months with an occupational ban in place, we are fighting for the survival of a whole industry with hundreds of thousands of employees, who depend on it directly or indirectly,” he said.

While each of Germany’s 16 states has a slightly different approach to reopening the country, it seems to be the political consensus that large events can go ahead from September under tight controls.